Saturday, September 30, 2017

Module Five Project #2

A.) Which artworks make an impact or impression on me? Why? 


The artwork that made an impression on me is the Cupid as Link boy by Joshua Reynolds. The first  thing about the picture that I saw was  the little boy with wings which made me wonder why would the artist draw a little boy with wings on his back with what seems to look like a wooden  stake in his hand with the name cupid.  I would infer that he is the opposite of love which the much known version cupid represents and he represents hate. Looking closer to it you could see the back ground is very dark and gloomy which brings out the darkness that he represents. The art work made an impression because of the way it stands out at you and make you think
     
The next painting that made an impression was the Le matin en Provence (Morning in Provence), ca. 1900-1906 by Paul Cezanne. It  Depicts a farm like home with a big open field and house right on it. The thing that caught my eye about it is that the picture had big dots of paint that create a beautiful piece of art work which made me like it even more cause of the uniqueness.

B.) Which artworks do I feel a connection with? Why?
The first artwork I feel a connection with is the music and literature 1878 by William Michael Harnett piece.  I feel like I have a connection to it because I love music and literature because both gives me a sense of  

freedom and expression. When the artist put both of those things together it’s like giving a little glimpse of who I am.

The second artwork that I had a connection was the unfinished portrait sketch by Seymour Haden which depicted a human’s body but with no face which makes it faceless. The connection I feel with this painting is that sometime I do feel like I am incomplete and I believe until we die we are never truly complete. The life that we leave is to find ourselves which makes a complete. The sketch for me has a deeper meaning than what it portrays

C.) Which artworks would I like to know more about? Why?


The Artwork that I want to know more about is the L’Age d’Airain( Age of Bronze) 1875-1876. The reason I want to know more is because I am a little confuse at to what the statue really means and what’s the story behind. From looking at It can infer that the artist was maybe trying to show how a regular man is supposed to be depicted.
Another artwork that I would want to get a clearer understanding of is the Die Knieende by  Wilhelm Lehmbruck which depicts a woman kneeling on her knees with her skirt down. This statue confuses me and what it related to in that time period



1 comment:

  1. I am not sure what gallery you went to but if we went to the same one I feel like I really missed some great pieces at the Albright Knox!
    I really like and agree with the way you viewed and analyzed the work called Cupid as Link boy by Joshua Reynolds. I agree that the elements and principles show it to be like a darker version of Cupid and what we imagine him to be like. The use of the dark colors gives us a different view of this "god of love"
    The statute Die Knieende by Wilhelm Lehmbruck also confuses me, you did not note the time period but none the less it is confusing and i would want to know why the artist would make a statue like this. why the skirt has fallen below the waist and what it is meant to show to the viewer what artist is trying to convey to us as viewers.
    The unfinished portrait sketch by Seymour Haden is interesting as being a domestic violence survivor going on two years now I often feel incomplete. I have been struggling to feel complete m entire life actually. Where we differ on this interpretation is that I am not sure if one would feel who when they die. I think it would have more to do with what we accomplish in our lives.

    ReplyDelete